Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Prevent the Windows 8 onscreen keyboard from popping up

I have been using Windows 8 for about 2 days with 2 touchscreens. Even though I have a keyboard attached to do the heavy typing, Windows insists on displaying the onscreen keyboard every other minute.

So far the only trick that works is to turn off the touch keyboard and handwriting service:
  1. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
  2. Stop the Touchscreen and Handwriting service.
  3. Set it to disable so it don't come back.
(Thanks to Seansmash in this thread)

Update 2: Turns out that turning off this service also disables the Tablet PC Settings control. I discovered this when I wanted to try calibrating my screen again, since I am using both my 2-point optical touchscreens in a slightly-reduced resolution so I can get the slide-in-from-the-edges features of Windows 7.

Update 1: Note: At first I tried to turn off using the following method but it didn't work for me.
  1. Right-click an empty area of the taskbar.
  2. Click the Toolbars tab.
  3. Clear the touch keyboard check box.
  4. Click OK.
Now if only MS had added a check box to the keyboard named "Show onscreen keyboard even if physical keyboard present". Nah, too obvious. :)